Thursday, January 7, 2010

Booking Through Thursday

Sandy suggested that I try a meme to get myself going here. I figured it wasn't a bad idea. I checked out The Story Siren and read her blogging guidelines (Thanks for telling me about them, Lucy!). TSS listed a few different memes, and I chose Booking Through Thursday. Give it a shot!

This week's questions were (directly from BTT):

What books did you get for Christmas (or whichever holiday you may have celebrated last month)?

Do you usually ask for books on gift-giving occasions or do you prefer to buy them yourself?

For Christmas this year, I didn't receive any books. In the past few years, I haven't really kept a list of things that I wanted for Christmas, unlike when I was little and my lists contained toys from every commercial I saw. I do, however, work in a bookstore, and I always wonder why friends and family members don't think to get me gift cards for my store for gift-giving occasions. Most of my paycheck goes right back to my employers, so why not?

So this year, instead of books, my parents left a gift card in my stocking. I was thrilled! This time around I used it to get the last few volumes of Y: The Last Man (an awesome graphic novel series that a friend of mine introduced me to), which I shared with my boyfriend (we'd been collecting them since the summer).

When I was still in high school, I discovered one of my favorite authors-- Diana Wynne Jones. In what must've been 10th or 11th grade, when I actually made a list of things I wanted, a majority of it contained her books. That was a good Christmas! :)

Anyway, for gift-giving occasions and whatnot, I really do love getting books. Also, I'd never say no to a gift card. ;) It's nice to see what friends and family think I will like, because I know they put thought into their choices, but a gift card allows me to pick whatever I want. Either way, I'm happy!


Sorry if this was a little lengthy, but I've had a strong urge to write all week and no reviews to post! Those should be coming soon. I'm really going to try!

-P

7 comments:

  1. Cool meme! :)

    I heart gift cards too. I usually never turn down a book. I always give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm jealous that you work in a book store. If I were to work, I think that's what I'd like to do. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Y: The Last Man series. So far I've liked what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've seen the girl on any other covers. :O See, I wouldn't think to give you giftcards because I'm thinking, "She sees books ALL DAY...it'd probably be dull for her. AND kinda redundant." So yay for a headz-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see books all day! xD It's just the customers that I'm not so happy about sometimes...


    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY GIFTS ARE INFINITELY BETTER THAN WHAT YOU WOULD PICK OUT ;D
    (Just kidding ;D ;D)

    GUESS WHO THIS IS?!

    Nice job so far. I love the way you write. Anyway, I can't wait until you start writing about books, and not about how you hate my gifts. MESSAGE RECEIVED! HaHa

    Two good picture books I would recommend are "There"( makes you think) by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick and "Mrs. Watson wants your teeth" (makes you laugh) by Alison McGhee. Also, don't forget to write about our buddy, Percy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >:( Cristina's a butt.

    I like when people pick things out for me; they put thought into it! You can't read! xD <3 (lolololol jk lol)

    Percy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is le dot dot dot? D:

    Fantasy+Meggo=explosion of happiness. :D
    I'm still shoving BW at you whether you like it or not :) I'm thinking that I'm gonna buy The Iron King with one of the giftcards I have left. You can even tell me if it's there beforehand o.O!

    ReplyDelete