Monday, November 10, 2014

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (audiobook)

Image from Goodreads
Cashore, Kristin. Graceling. Harcourt, 2008. 471 p. $17.00. 978-0152063962.

     Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.
     When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po’s friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace—or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.          [summary from Amazon]
Let me start by saying that audiobooks have really grown on me in the last year or so.  I do a lot more driving now than I used to, and it is hard to find time to read for pleasure.  Audiobooks have proven to be a fantastic way for me to keep up on my reading (both for fun and for class), and are quite refreshing--it's nice to be read to every once in a while, as an adult!

THE STORY:
I have a little bit of a fascination with eyes in the fictional world, so Graceling was a pleasant surprise.  I went into it blind (pun not intended), and enjoyed the world-building Cashore presented through the description of the Graced.  This type of physical attribute made me label the book as another dystopian, but despite the book market being completely saturated with dystopian young adult novels, but not in the way I've become used to.  This novel does not scream "SCI-FI FUTURISTIC REBELLION" like most of its contemporaries do (I'm looking at you, Hunger Games).  Cashore's depiction of the Graced is well-rounded and, frankly, quite interesting.  The idea of bearing a special skill (some more "useful" than others) due to having two different eye colors is an innovative and unique idea.  There is no crazy government experiment or particular technology that makes this happen.  I appreciated that in its simplicity.

What endeared me most to Graceling was the development of the relationship between Katsa and Prince Po.  What starts out as a reluctant friendship turns into one of great trust and respect, which is ultimately tested by the revelation of an enormous secret regarding Po's Grace.  Katsa has gone through so much inner turmoil regarding her own Grace--making their mutual understanding more difficult to attain, and making it infinitely more valuable.

Finally, I greatly appreciated Cashore's depiction of romantic relationships, which she does without patronizing young readers.  There is a certain responsibility we must take in deciding what steps to take in a romantic partnership, and we have to choose what feels right for ourselves.  Cashore's non-didactic approach to sex, marriage, and romance is liberating and supportive of individual right.

THE AUDIO:
The audio version of Graceling was produced by Full Cast Audio, in a total of eleven 70-75 minute CDs.  Before this title, I had never listened to an audiobook narrated by a full cast.  Although it took some getting used to, I loved it.

This audiobook had my attention from the very beginning, and I found myself shouting out loud in excitement and anguish in response to the events of the story.  I have never been so participatory with an audiobook before Graceling.  I'm no expert, but that has to say something!

Katsa's voice grew on me over the course of the novel.  In the beginning she is harsh and serious, but her affectionate moments and instances of strong emotion make for a spectacular performance.  Po's thoughtful and joking personality shines through in Zachary Exton's portrayal of the Lenid prince.  His warm, passionate voice made for an easy favorite!  Overall, the casting was very well done--what an entertaining and talented cast.

FINAL NOTES:
For some bizarre reason, I could not help but think of The Princess Bride while listening to this.  I'm not saying this because Katsa, Po, or any other character particularly reminded me of anyone from William Goldman's fabulous fantasy, but the "medieval" setting and kingdoms galore helped me make that connection.  That being said, The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books (and movies), and this little thought made me appreciate Cashore's story a little bit more.

Highly recommended, both for the story and for the audiobook's production.  I will absolutely be listening to the sequel, Fire, as soon as I am able!  I am hooked.

Recommended for:
Those who sit in the car for several hours a week, those interested in a more medieval setting (including those wanting a break from all the high-tech dystopian futures), and those with an openness exploring the origins of unusual talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment