Friday, November 12, 2010

Book Blogger Hop, 11/12/10-11/15/10

Book Blogger Hop

"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"


I figured I'd try another meme to pass the time. This is my first time participating in the Book Blogger Hop, brought to you by Crazy-for-Books.com. :)

Well, to answer the question... While I'd much rather start a series from the beginning, I have been guilty of reading books out of order. When I was younger, for example, I participated in a program called Battle of the Books hosted by my library. This program consisted of kids from grades 6-8 (or was it 9? 5-9?). Their goal: to read a certain amount of books selected for the program and compete in a trivia tournament at the end of the summer. Occasionally one of the books for the program was part of a series, but it wasn't always obvious.

One year, I picked up a book called Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. I'd never heard of it before and it was the first book that I'd ever read by that author. I read it, loved it, and studied it. Long after I finished that book, I learned that it was part of a series. I was disappointed because I didn't know beforehand, but I wasn't lost at all while reading! So what was the big deal?

Anyway, I ended up reading Lois Lowry's little dystopian series out of order. Gathering Blue was the second. After that I was able to get copies of The Giver and Messenger. I read the series from second-first-third and had no problems (although I do think that reading the third book last made the most sense, so I'm glad I did)!

Sometimes reading out of order isn't a big deal. Sometimes it is. While I've had okay experiences in doing so, I still prefer to read the first book first. :) It really depends on what kind of series it is, I guess.

What about you?


*EDIT: I hate misspelling names. T_T Errors have been fixed!

6 comments:

  1. I've never read a series out of order... I think. Wait, I lied. I DID read the sequel to one book but I had no idea at the time and I actually didn't get lost while reading it. There were some references to the MC's past (from book one, I'm guessing) but the author recapped it smoothly and it didn't hinder my reading experience. I finished the book and really enjoyed it (thinking it was a stand-alone).

    And THEN I find out there's a book before it! I haven't picked up the first book but I plan on doing so :)

    And the title of the sequel I mistakenly read? PALADIN OF SOULS. <--Badass name right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so if you do it by accident I think its ok. On purpose- then I'll hafta argue with you. I LOVE The Giver. The Librarian read it to my 5th grade class when I was younger and I just recently (like a month ago) just bought and reread it! I've thought of buying some of Lois Lowery's other books actually. I didn't know that any were in a series either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First-time visitor...lovely blog and name.

    Hopping by...stop by my blog if you like to see my answer to this week's question.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman out of order and always regretted it! I kind of spoiled the first book, The Golden Compass, knowing what happens in books 2 and 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only time I ever read series' out of order is by accident. Funny enough, I haven't read the rest of the books in Lowry's series. I loved THE GIVER, though.

    Glad to have found you via the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read The Giver, but I haven't read the companion novels yet. I'll have to check those out!

    ReplyDelete